Date:      Mon, 24 Aug 2015 16:16:44 +0200
From:      Baptiste Daroussin <bapt@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Willem Jan Withagen <wjw@digiware.nl>
Cc:        "stable@freebsd.org" <stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: regression from previous version of pw

--o7gdRJTuwFmWapyH

On Mon, Aug 24, 2015 at 04:07:29PM +0200, Willem Jan Withagen wrote:
> On 24-8-2015 16:01, Baptiste Daroussin wrote:
> > On Mon, Aug 24, 2015 at 03:49:52PM +0200, Willem Jan Withagen wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> In the previous version before Bapt upgraded pw(8) I was allowed to do
> >> 	pw useradd -V /etc
> >>
> >> Even though the manual page instructed otherwise.
> >>
> >> The new version sticks to the manual page and generates:
> >> pw: illegal option -- V
> >>
> >> I'm going to change the scripts, but perhaps others will be bitten too.
> >> Up to Bapt to decide what to do with this.
> >=20
> > The code has been changed to respect what the manual and the help outpu=
t was
> > showing: -V should be passed before the subcommand
>=20
> You just changed that now? Or my version is lagging behind?
> Text is much more clear than the 'illegal option' espacially now there
> is also the -R stuff. So it made me wonder.

I changed that when bringing in the -R stuff so long ago. Illegal option is=
 made
by getopt(3) directly but I can make it nicer and show a message that expla=
ins.
>=20
> > The reason for this is was to make the code more easily maintenable and
> > understandable.
>=20
> You fixed the code, so it is your prerogative.

Well I also want the feedback from users, as if it is only me, given how th=
ings
are documented and the whole organisation of the pw(8) code (even before my
refactoring) it makes more sense as it is now. (this is the only behaviour =
that
changed on purpose, all others are considered as a bug and should be report=
ed
and fixed).
>=20
> > if really that is too painful I can allow again -V to be also passed af=
ter the
> > subcommand but at the price of complicating the code.
>=20
> Nope, I've already changed the code I have.
> Was about 5 lines in a shell script.
>=20
> My comment was more as general notification, in case somebody else ran
> into the same. Nobody thus far ran into this, so it won't be major anyway=
s.

You are actually the second to report, the first was crochet which has be f=
ixed
straight forward.

Best regards,
Bapt