Date:      Sat, 02 Jun 2012 09:42:31 +0700
From:      Erich <erichfreebsdlist@ovitrap.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Why Are You NOT Using FreeBSD ?

Hi,

On 01 June 2012 AM 5:03:26 Mehmet Erol Sanliturk wrote:

> "Why Are You Using FreeBSD ?"

there is only one reason for me not using FreeBSD: hardware which is not supported but found in the machine.

I have had to move two machines within the last three years to Fedora because of this. The first machine has had an old network adapter which was not supported by FreeBSD.

The second machine is my new X220 on which I could not get X running before I have had to use it for work. I will stick now with it while I am travelling. This will take some time. I will have a try with FreeBSD again after my return.

I also noticed one small problem when people use FreeBSD mainly and have one machine with Linux. It is similar. Yes, but it is not the same. When options differ, it becomes real problematic. I was really considering moving back to Windows on that one machine.

Fedora supports the built-in camera and finger print reader. I could not read memory cards with the built-in reader but have had to use my old external one.

What really puts me off on Fedora is the maintenance. I do not understand why people do this to themselfs. FreeBSD is so much easier to maintain. How often did Fedora introduce basic changes which runs you crazy when you have to maintain several machines?

Erich