Date:      Sat, 8 Mar 1997 17:57:03 +1100 (EST)
From:      Andrew <andrew@ugh.net.au>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   File access times and filetest -A

Hi,

This probably isnt very FreeBSD specific but:

In tcsh I type:

mopsy~>filetest -A fred
857803867
mopsy~>more fred
sdsfss
mopsy~>filetest -A fred
857803867

The access time hasn't gone up despite the fact that I mored the file. man
stat (I assume it is stat that is being used) says:

st_atime     Time when file data last accessed.  Changed by the mknod(2),
                   utimes(2) and read(2) system calls.

Does more not use read? Is this jsut a bug? The real reason I'm asking is
because I'm trying to
write a script that comapres the access time of my mail file compared with
its modification time so that I can tell if I have new mail.

Thanks,

Andrew