Date:      Thu, 2 Jan 1997 08:43:15 -0600 (CST)
From:      "Paul T. Root" <proot@horton.iaces.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Adding IDE to SCSI

Hi,

I'm trying to add an IDE drive to a previously all SCSI 486 system.

I'm putting Windows 95 on the IDE and am going to eventually reinstall
FreeBSD on my SCSI drive, but in the mean time want to just add booteasy (or
OSBS) to the IDE so it points to the SCSI to boot FreeBSD (and old Win 95
slice until I get everything installed on the new disk).

However the first time I did this, I got the
"operating system missing" message when trying to boot FreeBSD or the
old Win slice.

I have 2 possiblities for this:
	1) I installed booteasy on the IDE drive via a DOS shell under
	Win95. (and left OS/BS on the SCSI disk)

	2) When installing booteasy, I had ROM shadowing on for the IDE
	controller. It's manual said not to.

I installed 2.2 Beta as from what I read, 2.1.[56] wouldn't be able to
handle sd0 as sd0 when it's not the first BIOS disk.

Also, somehow the SCSI disks slice information got written onto the
IDE drive. I think this might have something to do with the shadowing.

As it stands now. Win 95 is installed on the new disk, and it's
controller is unplugged. I plug it in, and I can boot that disk, and pull
it to run FreeBSD.

Suggestions?

Thanks,
Paul.

--
Half a bee,        Must ipso facto,   But half a bee   Vis a Vis it's entity
Philosophically,   Half not be;       Has got to be    You see?