Date:      Wed, 23 Jun 1999 17:38:03 +0200
From:      Andre Albsmeier <andre.albsmeier@mchp.siemens.de>
To:        Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>
Cc:        Andre Albsmeier <andre.albsmeier@mchp.siemens.de>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: What is wrong with this ppp connection?

On Wed, 23-Jun-1999 at 10:42:35 +0100, Brian Somers wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I didn't realise you were using ``pp='' - I was thinking about
> the FAQ section that says you should ``set openmode passive'',

No problem, the explanation there brought me on the right path.

> but that's not going to work against pp= :-(

Correct :-)

> I would have thought you shouldn't really hear any line noise...
> not with error correction turned on.  Maybe there's a problem with
> the modem setup - or maybe the modem needs to be ATZ'd in a ``set
> hangup'' script ?

As it turnes out, the modem firmware is not very stable at the moment
and therefore producing the noise. This resulted in the scenario
described below.

> The only alternative approach I can think of is to use mgetty - maybe
> that deals with things better.

Well, it works now. It is a hack but I have no problems with hacks
as long as they correct thing beyond my control (the modem firmware).

Thanks again,

	-Andre