Date:      Wed, 9 Jul 1997 13:04:27 +0200
From:      Stefan Esser <se@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Don joy <joydon@soonet.ca>
Cc:        freebsd_ports <freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Problem with wine port

On Jul 8, Don joy <joydon@soonet.ca> wrote:
> I have recently installed the wine port and have a problem.  Here's my
> system version:
>
> [root@voyager]=>uname -a
> FreeBSD voyager.soonet.ca 2.2.2-RELEASE FreeBSD 2.2.2-RELEASE #0: Tue
> May 20 10:45:24 GMT 1997
> jkh@time.cdrom.com:/usr/src/sys/compile/GENERIC  i386

The GENERIC kernel does not contain the USER_LDT option,
which is required to run WINE.

> This is my output if I run it through gdb:
> [root@voyager]=>gdb wine
> (gdb) set args sol.exe
> (gdb) run
> Starting program: /usr/local/bin/wine sol.exe
> Program received signal SIGSYS, Bad system call.

I guess, this says it all ...

> 0x828e1e1 in semsys ()

Ahhh, semsys() ?
Well, I guess you better add a few more options:

options		USER_LDT
options		SYSVSHM

and possibly:

options		SYSVMSG
options		SYSVSEM

(I have got those, but would not expect WINE to
rely on them ...)

> I also get Bad system call with some other apps as well.  Anyone else
> seen this behaviour?  BTW, i did this install with the freebsd ports
> collection.

Using the BSD ports collection is the best approach,
since it normally lets you build an application with
no problems, implies the exact compile conditions
in case of a problem, and allows to implement a
workaround that benefits all later users of that port.

I guess I should add a comment stating, that you need
to build a custom kernel with USER_LDT and SYSVSHM
support in order to run WINE ...

Regards, STefan