Date:      Sun, 21 Nov 1999 12:16:10 +0100
From:      "Alberto De Giorgi" <albertodegiorgi@iol.it>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   R: sendmail says I'm an unknown user

Hi list.
Part 1
I sent a message about a problem with sendmail:
it was unable to identify any user but root of the system it
was running on.
Kindly, Thomas Uhrfelt answered:
>check the alias file (/etc/alias)
>
>for example if you have a user called jd on your system and his email addr.
>is john.doe@mydomain.com, the alias entry would be:
>
>john.doe: jd
Are you ready for part 2 ?

Part 2
The problem was not about aliases. You can use an
alias for jd if sendmail is supposed to know the user jd.
But what if sendmail said that jd is an unknown user?
That was the question.
I have found that sendmail is unable to identify a user
whose name contains capital characters.
When I changed my own user name from madG to
madg sendmail stopped complaining. Is this a
strange behavior that happens on my system only ?

bye
MDG