Date:      Mon, 18 Mar 2002 01:56:57 -0800
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Hans Reiser <reiser@namesys.com>, hiten@uk.FreeBSD.org, Chris Mason <mason@suse.com>, Josh MacDonald <jmacd@CS.Berkeley.EDU>, Parity Error <bootup@mail.ru>, freebsd-fs@FreeBSD.ORG, reiserfs-dev@namesys.com
Subject:   Re: Licensing issues, round 4711 (was: [reiserfs-dev] Re: metadata  update durability ordering/soft updates)

Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:
> We've been through this one just recently with JFS.  We can use
> reiserfs in FreeBSD with only a few restrictions.  Terry mentioned
> some of them, but in case you, like myself, find that too detailled,
> here's the bottom line: you can include GPL code in a FreeBSD kernel,
> but you can't include proprietary code in the same kernel binary.
> Well, you can, as long as you're prepared to supply the source of that
> proprietary code for "free".  Contrary to what Terry says, we could
> even distribute a CD containing a binary kernel with GPL code in it.

Don't agree with your interpretation of the ability of
someone to GPL UCBL'ed code, but even if we say you are
right (you're not 8-)) for the sake of argument, it would
only work on 2 clause UCBL'ed code, and not on things like
the many 4-clause licensed files, the "BeerWare" licensed
files, etc..  See the "additional restrictions" poison pill
caluse in the GPL, and ask a lawyer if needing to buy Poul
beer if you like the code counts... ;^).

> This by no means suggests that the FreeBSD project thinks this is a
> good idea.

-- Terry