Date:      Fri, 25 Jul 1997 14:38:14 -0500 (EST)
From:      "John S. Dyson" <toor@dyson.iquest.net>
To:        jwu@physics.berkeley.edu (Johnny Wu)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: pentium vs. pro for freebsd

> I'm considering either getting a Pentium/200 or a more expensive Pentium
> Pro machine for a FreeBSD system.  I've heard that FreeBSD can't really
> take advantage of the Pentium Pro, and that its not worth the extra $$$.
> Is this true?

The above statement is not true.  Not only do we take rather complete advantage
of the published features of the Pentium, we also take advantage of many
of the additional features of the PPro.

Secondly, note that if you ever upgrade to SMP, SMP on PPro's is much better
than on a typical Dual P5 system.  Lately, I have become very spoiled running
on P6 and Dual-P6 systems, leaving my P5 system for being my local router
(when I put it back together.) :-).

Not to play benchmark-wars or anything like that, but I can do a kernel
build in about 90-100secs on an SMP P6...  Sure beats the olden days on
a 386/25!!!

John