Date:      Sun, 15 Apr 2001 15:22:15 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org, heyjoe@cts.com
Subject:   RE: shells

Ted Mittelstaedt <tedm@toybox.placo.com> types:
> Most of the core FreeBSD developers prefer the C shell.  There's
> no real technical reason for their preference, they just like
> it better.

Is it really most? It wouldn't take much more than a small minority to
create the situation we have today, where it's simply to political to
change.

CSRG changed the default to csh back when the choices were csh or sh
(I don't count ash, which csh displaced); ksh wasn't even an option
then. Since it's trivial to change the default on a system, there's no
real reason to change the default for the default. Which is why it
would take a near majority of the developers wanting to change it to
make it happen.

	<mike