Date:      Thu, 27 Aug 1998 14:52:47 +1000
From:      Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
To:        gek <gekk0@usa.net>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How would it work?

Ah, good, you're beginning to look at it :-)

On Wed, Aug 26, 1998 at 09:19:49PM -0700, gek wrote:
> How will this happen?  hrm..
>
> 1) People subscribe

Is it open to all?

> 2) People ask questions, chat, discuss FreeBSD, etc

What types of questions would it cover?
What types of questions would it not cover?
How would someone asking a question decide if it is appropriate?

> 3) People either respond or delete the message

What sort of people would be responding?

> As long as people understand that this new list is targeted towards people
> new to FreeBSD, and that some of the questions they ask may not get
> answered on the list.
> Someone may of gone through the same pain someone else is asking about, and
> may feel like helping

OK. What is going to happen when someone gives some advice that is
incorrect? Who will know that it's incorrect? How will it be dealt
with?

> Who would run it?  run what?  I don't run a dictatorship
>
> The 2 rules:
> 1) No excessive flaming
> 2) no spam

So you're not going to have any requirement about keeping to the topic
of the list. That'll give it a nice sense of freedom. I might even find
someone there to discuss crochet with :-) But what about when the
volume of mail gets larger and people start complaining that they have
to wade through too much irrelevant crap? How are you going to deal
with that? (Not saying you can't, just looking for a plan)

Also, it sounds like you're still focussed on housing the list as the
major hurdle and planning to do it yourself (but maybe I'm wrong here).
Just about any newbie has the skills to set up a mailing list. The
planning and people skills to make it work is another matter.

There could be problems with presenting it as a FreeBSD list if it is
believed to have the potential to cause problems for FreeBSD. For
example, if someone believed that it would encourage misinformation that
put an added burden on the regular FreeBSD support system, or that it
would make FreeBSD look bad in some way, you could have problems.
Be careful what you call it and how you promote it. Do you hope to
get any support from the existing FreeBSD structures? Will you be
asking those who volunteer on the freebsd-questions list to help out on
your list instead? Will they feel they have a duty to monitor both
lists? Something to consider your position on.

> Being ex-military, I have no problem sending in a SEAL team to silence
> someone, or if I'm lazy....just launch a little cruise missle  :) , or
> removing them from the list, but it would take a lot for me to do
> that....I'm just a laid back type of guy.
> Gotta be laid back to sit in traffic here in Silicon Valley, hehe.

You were probably only joking, but if you attract other people with
that attitude you might find it a little... distracting :-)

--

Regards,
        -*Sue*-