Date:      Mon, 22 Dec 1997 14:24:17 +0300
From:      Dmitrij Tejblum <dima@tejblum.dnttm.rssi.ru>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: msdosfs win95 long file name support

Luoqi Chen wrote:
> I know someone (Robert Nordier?) has been working on a replacement for msdosfs.
> But my patience ran out after more than one year of waiting, so I took up
> the matter myself. After about two weekends of work, I got a set of working
> code. If anyone's interested, I have uploaded the diff to ftp://ftp.cdrom.com/
> pub/FreeBSD/incoming/msdosfs-vfat.diff.gz. Since I have been working on a
> 2.2-stable machine, the diff was taken against the 2.2.5 release. I haven't
> done much testing on this, so use at your own risk. Please send feedbacks
> to luoqi@watermarkgroup.com. And Merry Chrismas to everyone.

Sigh. Recently (after MSDOS replaced to Win95 on my harddrive) my patience ran
out too :) And I just got a working code :) But I went other way --- I merged
msdosfs from NetBSD. If anyone still interested, I have uploaded the diff to
ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/incoming/msdosfs-netbsd.diff.gz.
The diff is for -current.

The diff is very large --- it full of gratuitous changes. But the changes
decreases diff with NetBSD, and they are actively maintained this stuff.

To be honest, there is some mess in this diff. It is result of the merge too ...

Some other differences:
- NetBSD support FAT32 (I haven't tested it)
- NetBSD support such things as access time of a file.
- NetBSD removed warning "root directory is not a multiple of the clustersize
  in length" :-)

Dima