Date:      Thu, 11 Dec 1997 10:45:43 -0800 (PST)
From:      Tom <tom@sdf.com>
To:        "Walter .S. Alcaraz" <walcaraz@indy3.gstone.com>
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: RAID on FreeBSD

On Thu, 11 Dec 1997, Walter .S. Alcaraz wrote:

> I plan on purchasing FreeBSD 2.2.5 and installing it on a Pentium 200 or
> Pentium II 233 with 32 MB RAM.  I want to run it as an NFS server with 32 GB
> storage and a 100-mbit Fast Ethernet card, running with a RAID Ultra-Wide SCSI
> controller.  The setup I want to use is 9  4 GB Ultra-Wide SCSI drives, with a
> RAID controller doing RAID level 5.  My question is, which RAID SCSI controller
> does FreeBSD support and what one works the best?

  The DPT PM334UW works well, but you need to install the driver yourself.
This card supports up to 64MB cache, and you can add additional channels
to it via a daughtercard (up to 3 UW channels in total).  You will
probably want at least two channels.

  9 drives in an uncomfortable number for RAID5.  Probably better to go
with 10 drives instead, and make two 5 drive arrays.

Tom