Date:      Thu, 29 Apr 1999 23:11:25 -0700
From:      charon@freethought.org
To:        media@mail1.nai.net, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Newbie Questions

At 01:42 AM 4/30/99 -0400, media@mail1.nai.net wrote:
>1. I wish to install 3.1 STABLE, yet the only 3.1 I could find at
>ftp.FreeBSD.ORG/pub/FreeBSD was in releases/i386/.  Is that the right one??
>When I go to FreeBSD-stable/  I see packaging, ports, src, sup and
>supfile.cvsvp, but nothing such as bin, which would be necessary.

You can install 3.1-RELEASE and upgrade by source later (via ctm or cvsup),
or you could install a snapshot (basically a binary release of -STABLE at
that point - see ftp://releng3.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/snapshots/i386/).

>2.  When I open the XF86331 directory (I'm using FTP Explorer) it says "no
>such file or directory"  Where can I get the XF86331 files for the answer
>to my first question that are strongly recommended??

Well, I've always downloaded the binaries from http://www.xfree86.org, but
that's not the way most people do it around here, apparently  :)  You can
install X from the ports after you've installed FreeBSD.

>3.  I do not have a cd-rom drive.  I downloaded files from ftp.FreeBSD.ORG
>to my primary DOS partition.  For example, the path for bin.aa is
>C:\FREEBSD\bin\bin.aa
>
>I booted up using kern.flp and mfsboot.flp from floppies, but when I choose
>to load the rest from a DOS partition the installer tells me it can't find
>any of them.  There doesn't seem to be a prompt for a file path.  What am I
>doing wrong??

Look at ftp://ftp.FreeBSD.ORG/pub/FreeBSD/3.1-RELEASE/ERRATA.TXT.
Basically, there's a bug in 3.1, so just put everything in C:\bin\*,
C:\src\*, etc., and don't use the \FREEBSD directory.

>4.  The boot manager seems to have been installed as I get this at startup:
>
>F1 DOS
>F2 FreeBSD
>
>    If I choose F2  I get:
>
>No /boot/loader
>
>>>FreeBSD/i386 BOOT
>Default 0:wd(0,a)/kernel
>boot:
>
>So I'm guessing the bin files never loaded.  Drive D: no longer appears
>under DOS  (it's was empty partition made with FIPS 2.0).

Considering question 3, I'd say your guess is right.

>5.  The ports and packages files at ftp.FreeBSD.ORG are compressed.  Should
>I download them and try to decompress using WINZIP or what??   Or are they
>decompressed as they are loaded into FreeBSD??

They'll be decompressed as you load them into FreeBSD - 'pkg_add' and
'make' take care of just about everything for you.

Hope you have fun with FreeBSD!

         Charon@freethought.org
 http://members.home.net/tuathadedanann/

   "Unthinking respect for authority