Date:      Tue, 5 Nov 2002 22:25:21 +0000
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Mount floopy disk

On Tue, Nov 05, 2002 at 11:05:58AM -0800, Naydoe Maung wrote:

> What are the consequences if I eject the floppy or reboot the system without
> unmounting the floppy?  and does it also apply to the CD-ROM too?
> Thanks.

With floppy disks, it depends to some extent on the precise model of
drive.  Generally however, the system cannot tell that the disk has
been removed.  Hence operations that access the disk will tend to
block, if not worse.

CD-ROMs don't suffer from this.  The drive can be queried by the
system to find out if media is present.  If the CD is mounted, then
you'll find that hitting the eject button has no effect.  It's just a
much better design than the floppy.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way