Date:      Sat, 2 Jun 2012 13:17:07 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Wojciech Puchar <wojtek@wojtek.tensor.gdynia.pl>
To:        Thomas Mueller <mueller23@insightbb.com>
Cc:        Mario Lobo <lobo@bsd.com.br>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: (no subject)

> I suppose if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
>
> I have FreeBSD 8.2_RELEASE i386 on an old computer, pinched for disk space and only 256 MB RAM, won't try upgrading in place.
>
> On the new computer, after not being able to boot NetBSD most of the time and never getting to a graphical interface, FreeBSD 9.0-BETA1 was released, and I downloaded and installed that: a dream compared to NetBSD which didn't really like the new hardware.
I used NetBSD after using linux and before FreeBSD.
Since v 1.6 and definitely since 2.0 NetBSD turned into bloatware, as well
as crashware and slowware. Exactly as i predicted when new company were
created and started "sponsoring" NetBSD too much. It is useless now.

FreeBSD fortunately doesn't go that route, every new release is actually
better, and bloatware required to get enough sponsoring is clearly
separated from the real part, having no effect on base system if you don't
use it.

> I never used the old computer as a server.

i do. Old computers for small scale server (small office, few users), New
for larger.

> For a server, you don't need a lot of fancy stuff such as Adobe Flash

and do you need this for a non-server? Adobe don't want us (FreeBSD users)
to use their closed-source software. And i respect their will and don't
use it. Which resulted in much easier browsing by the way :)

> and other multimedia functionality, nor do you need a lot of RAM.

depends what you run. Add spamassassin, clamav, squid and 512MB is quite a
minimum, 256MB bearable with max few users and quita a bit of paging.

Anything NEW, like cheapest dell poweredge server you can buy, is enough
for even large office unless you do stupid things, or use virtualbox
heavily.