Date:      Mon, 12 Nov 2001 16:48:12 +0100
From:      Marco Molteni <molter@tin.it>
To:        mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: an and wi ad-hoc talking

On 2001-11-11, Duncan Barclay wrote:
> BTW,
>
> I think "association" is not defined for ad-hoc mode.
>
> >From 802.11-1999a
>
>         3.4 association: The service used to establish access point/station
>         (AP/STA) mapping and enable STA invo-cation
>         of the distribution system services (DSSs).
>
> There is no AP in an ad-hoc network.

In my opinion the 802.11 standards are often unclear in details, for
example in the definition of many terms.

Anyway, from my reading and understanding, there is always "association",
no matter in which mode.

In IBSS (ad hoc or, if you prefer, peer to peer), each STA has an
association with each other STA in the IBSS.

In BSS (infrastructure), each STA has only one association, with the AP,
while the AP has one association per STA.

I think I can dig out this alternative description from the standard :-)

/marco