Date:      Fri, 19 Sep 1997 11:24:15 +0100
From:      Brian Somers <brian@awfulhak.org>
To:        Snob Art Genre <benedict@echonyc.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: modem woes

> I'm not sure if this is a FreeBSD issue or a hardware issue, but I have
> been having mysterious problems with my internal USR Sportster 28.8.
>
> The modem takes commands ok -- in ppp or minicom I can type "atdt" and I
> hear a dial tone, it dials and even hardware handshakes.  But it won't
> talk to me!  Not a peep, not one little "OK" or "CONNECT 21600".
>
> In ppp, a "show modem" is normal unless I have gone into terminal mode.
> Then I get this extra message:
>
> outq: ioctl probe failed: Interrupted system call
>
> I tried swapping out my modem for a known-working similar model (which I'm
> logged in on right now).  I also tried putting it in a different ISA slot.
> No effect from either.
>
> I had a power loss the other day and I suspect my FS may've gotten
> corrupted.  At first, when I thought this was a ppp problem, I tried to
> recompile it and couldn't.  (Damn, I didn't write down the errors, and as
> I've only one monitor for the two machines at the moment, I'd rather not
> go duplicate the problem.)
>
> Minicom has the same behavior as ppp: I can talk to the modem fine but it
> won't talk to me.
>
> Any ideas?  TIA.

I would say that either your modem/UART has lost its IRQ, or it's
been "spiked" :-(

It's a bit strange if you can type "AT" and see "OK", but don't get
to see the CONNECT after a handshake.  But then, you already know
that :-)

--
Brian <brian@Awfulhak.org>, <brian@FreeBSD.org>, <bri@OpenBSD.org>
      <http://www.Awfulhak.org>;