Date:      Tue, 06 Jun 2017 23:53:22 -0500
From:      "Zane C. B-H." <v.velox@vvelox.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Ancient Hardware

On 2017-06-01 17:28, George Mitchell wrote:
> On 06/01/17 17:59, Polytropon wrote:
>> On Thu, 1 Jun 2017 16:10:48 -0400, George Mitchell wrote:
>>> What is the minimum recommended RAM for FreeBSD 10 systems?  Is there
>>> any chance it would run on an i386 with only 128MB of RAM?
>>
>> I've been running FreeBSD 9 on a Pentium I with 150 MHz and
>> 128 MB RAM (FreeBSD 5 with 64 MB RAM before that), so I'd
>> say 128 MB RAM sounds possible; however, do you mean "a real
>> Intel 80386" when you say i386, or is a Pentium-class CPU
>> within your scope?
>>
>> Also consider the difference between "(basically) runs on"
>> vs. "is usable (for)". ;-)
>
> It's an AMD Geode in an old Netgate box I'm trying to revive.  It
> does run old pfSense images, but I hoped I might be able to use
> it to run a newer pfSense.  Thanks for your response.   -- George

If you are just looking to shove packets around, it should be fine the
most part. But if you want to begin running modern things like LibreNMS
or the like you will quickly begin to run into issues with it.

If you are possibly interested in checking out newer boards to use for
small routers and are capable of running FreeBSD, I highly suggest
checking out one of the Intel Atom boards made by Supermicro.