Date:      Sun, 31 Jan 1999 13:03:49 -0500
From:      Allen Briggs <briggs@canolog.ninthwonder.com>
To:        David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SCSI Tape Drives...

> Eliant 820 is the current good low end Exabyte, about $1100 internal,
> $1350 for external (in genuine Exabyte enclosure). They make an 8700
> external top loader for about $600 street price. Have never tried the
> 8700 but have used 8505's and the 820's totally uneventfully.

I've been using an 8700 that's worked flawlessly for me in NetBSD.  It
should do at least as well in FreeBSD.  I worked out that the cost for
an 8700 was lower than a Travan after buying 15-20 tapes.  BUYCOMP
usually has several different 8mm tapes for $3-$5 ea.  When I was
looking, Travan tapes were at least $20 each.

-allen

--
                    Allen Briggs - briggs@ninthwonder.com
       Try free *nix: http://www.netbsd.org/, http://www.freebsd.org/,