Date:      Wed, 29 Sep 1999 09:26:44 -0500
From:      "Alejandro Ramirez" <ales@megared.net.mx>
To:        <chris@tourneyland.com>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Is my NIC card dead?

> A friend of mine brought his computer over, and plugged it into my network
> here (taking the cable out of the back of my FreeBSD machine while it was
> running, and plugging it into his). Now that computer can't ping out to
> local machines or do anything. It's not the cable, since it still works in
> my friend machine.

Maybe an "ifconfig <interface> down" & "ifconfig <interface> up" would have
fixed this.

> 1) Is pulling the cable out of the card while it was running a risky
> operation?

No.

> 2) I just reinstalled FreeBSD on that computer, and though it was an FTP
> install (so obviously the card worked then), I'm not sure I've tried to
> anything with it since, so maybe there's a config problem. That doesn't
> make much sense to me, but is it possible? And how could I make sure?

Check out the "dmesg" output and find your card, and if it says something
weird like irq conflict or dma problem, you will have a problem with that
card, but if it is working, Im pretty sure that you dont have a config
problem.

> 3) The network card is old, and if I replace it I'd be replacing it with a
> different card. I've never configured any hardware with FreeBSD (I've just
> let the install program do it). Is there anything special I have to do to
> config it? (Actually never mind that question - I'm sure there's something
> in the Handbook to cover it).

"man ifconfig"