Date:      Wed, 22 Sep 2021 09:03:48 +0200
From:      Andrea Venturoli <ml@netfence.it>
To:        Dan Langille <dan@langille.org>
Cc:        dvl@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Bacula and S3

On 9/21/21 5:41 PM, Dan Langille wrote:

>> I've made a separate port for libs3 and added an option to
>> bacula11-server (which will depend on the former).
>>
>> Unfortunately I'm still far from being able to test this properly.
>
> What is needed?

So far I got up to the point where a backup job works to the cache,
tries to upload to cloud (I see https traffic) and fails (obviously, as
account data is currently fake).
I'm waiting for bureocracy to get the account, then I'll need to find
some spare time to test it.

> I don't have time to add another project for testing.

BTW, since I also maintain a jail to do Bacula regression testing, do
you know if this can be integrated?
Is there some support upstream for this?

> I am sure others will be interested in testing.
> Please create a PR and attach a patch.

I'll see what happens: if the project goes forward, I'll have quite good
testing and then produce a PR.
If the project dies in its cradle, I see if I can do some tests myself,
but I'll provide a PR in any case.
If someone, in the meantime, wants this... just ask.

> If the new feature is off by default, it will not affect existing
> installations. Interested parties can enable it and test it themselves

Yes, I added an option to your port which is off by default.
However, even if it's on, it shouldn't pose any problem (provided it
compiles on all platforms), since it just installs some libs which will
go unused.

BTW, I decided to make a separate port (bacula11-libs3) because it was
easier for me; perhaps it could also be integrated into bacula11-server,
but AFAICT it would be more work.

  bye & Thanks
	av.