Date:      Tue, 16 May 1995 13:03:29 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        jkh@freefall.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        michaele@mxim.com, current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: New "config" program

> > There is a oversight in the new config program, it no longer "reminds"
> > you to do a "make depend".
>
> Not an oversight at all.  The make depend was of dubious value as it
> still didn't actually function properly - it would catch very
> simplistic dependencies but not more complex ones, resulting in
> kernels which failed in weird and interesting ways.
>
> I think anyone using `make depend' in /sys/compile/FOO and expecting
> it to work across multiple configs/changes is just asking for trouble,
> and I have ample evidence to prove it!

The most common mode of failure here was when running config again on
the same kernel most people did not rerun make depend since they had
already run it once before.  Since the header files had been rewritten
by config you need to rerun make depend.

It should still give this message if I say config -n FOOBAR!!!

> Note that I'm not saying that this _shouldn't_ work, simply that it
> does not currently do so reliably enough to be counted upon.

Also many dependcies missing on Makefile due to proliferation of
compile time options that are in CFLAGS rather than .h files.