Date:      Fri, 25 Jun 2004 12:43:07 -0700 (PDT)
From:      David Vetter <david@inducedreality.net>
To:        Chris Miller <chrislist@bariatricsupportcenter.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD-Mobile <freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: USB mouse and keyboard problems with 5.2.1-Release

On Thu, 24 Jun 2004, Chris Miller wrote:

> On Thu, 2004-06-24 at 11:47, John Baldwin wrote:
>
> > Hmm, my USB mice all work fine when plugged, unplugged so I'm not sure what
> > you are running into there.  As far as keyboards, you currently have to tell
> > FreeBSD to use the USB keyboard via 'kbdcontrol -k /dev/kbd1' using the PS/2
> > keyboard (yes, this is rather lame, hopefully someday the keyboard driver
> > will be fixed to mux the inputs from all the physical keyboards)
> >
> When I try that command I get the following:
> # kbdcontrol -k /dev/kbd1
> kbd1
>     ukbd0, type:generic (0)
> kbdcontrol: unable to set keyboard: Inappropriate ioctl for device
>
> So I'm not exactly sure what to do about it.   The keyboard is an
> annoyance but not the end of the world.  But the mouse and track pad are
> making me seriously think about going back to Linux with this machine.
>
> > > The track pad also doesn't work at all.  (In windows it is listed as an
> > > ALPS on a PS/2 port.  It also works fine in Linux)
> >
> > Since you don't have a /dev/psm0, it appears the kernel isn't seeing the
> > device at all.  Do any 'psm' lines show up in your dmesg?
>
> There is no mention of psm anything in dmesg.
>
> I have included all the output from dmesg in case it helps.  Of course
> it made this a real long mail, sorry.
>
> Thanks again,
> Chris
>
> ums0: Logitech USB-PS/2 Optical Mouse, rev 2.00/21.00, addr 2, iclass
> 3/1
> ums0: 7 buttons and Z dir.

It's showing the mouse as USB, so you should be able to use it there.  I
have had a lot of problems getting the optical mice I have to work under
FreeBSD 5.x, though.

In your rc.conf, you want to make sure to have
usbd_enable="YES"

and

moused_enable="YES"
moused_type="auto"
moused_port="/dev/ums0"

That should work, though, as I said, I've had problems getting it to work
after 4.9.  Who knows, though, that could have just been my mouse.

David