Date:      Wed, 13 Jun 2012 16:35:51 -0600
From:      Keith Seyffarth <weif@weif.net>
To:        George Liaskos <geo.liaskos@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Chromium 19 core dumps on launch...

George Liaskos <geo.liaskos@gmail.com> writes:

> On Mon, Jun 11, 2012 at 3:04 AM, Keith Seyffarth <weif@weif.net> wrote:
>>
>> Friday I installed Chromium again because it would be nice to have a
>> browser to test in other than Firefox and Opera. It was installed using
>> portinstall -R chromium, which *appeared* to function properly.
>>
>> However, trying to run chrome results in:
>> pid 50993 (chrome), uid 1001: exited on signal 11 (core dumped)
>>
>> >From what I found online, it looked like I may have been encountering an
>> issue with devel/google-perftools, but on reinstall was able to confirm
>> that this is building with gcc not clang.
>>
>> I have also removed my ~/.config/chromium directory with no change in
>> behavior.
>>

>> Not sure if it's relevant, but the last version of Chromium that was
>> *functional* for me was 12. Versions 13-16 didn't support loading web
>> pages (the browser would launch, but if I entered a URL in the address
>> bar, I could leave the browser running overnight and it still wouldn't
>> have started loading a page). Then when 17 and 18 wouldn't even compile
>> (marked ignore), I just removed package.
>
> Please try 19.0.1084.56_1, devel/google-perftools is not a dependency
> of chromium anymore.

Thanks, George.

Upgrading from chromium-19.0.1084.52_2 to chromium-19.0.1084.56_1 (and
removing google-perftools) will allow Chromium to launch. However, it
can't load many pages. For example:
http://tools.google.com/chrome/intl/en/welcome.html
http://www.alexa.com/
https://support.google.com/chrome/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=1270364&p=e_deadjim
http://www.atlatl.com/
https://support.google.com/chrome/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=95669&p=e_awsnap
chrome://chrome/settings/
and
http://www.mariahschallenge.com/
eventually give a "the page has become unresponsive" error.

But pages like:
http://www.amazon.com/
http://www.google.com/
http://www.firsttankguide.net/
and
http://www.visitphilipsburg.com/
load right away.

Also, when you close the browser, either by closing the last tab,
closing the window, or selecting "Exit" from the tools menu, it doesn't
release memory or terminate the process, it just gets rid of the
window... It looks like the process hangs around until you kill it.

I've tried deleting the profile files again as well, with the same
response.

Any further ideas?

Keith