Date:      Thu, 27 Dec 2001 21:56:26 -0800
From:      "Kutulu" <kutulu@kutulu.org>
To:        "Peter Ong" <peter@haloflightleader.net>, <stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Trying NT Hacks

From: "Peter Ong" <peter@haloflightleader.net>
Sent: Thursday, December 27, 2001 6:53 PM

> I guess I'm judging too quickly.  Anyway, there hasn't been a successful
> break in just yet.  Now I'm wondering if there's some extra precautions I
> can take to ensure that a break in doesn't occur.

You already took the really important one: you didn't run IIS :)

On a serious note, though, portscanning entire chunks of the IP space is an
extremely common tactic for kiddies trying to locate exploitable systems.  A
nice firewall that drops packets (on ports you don't need, obviously) helps,
but when you need port 80 open for legitimate anonymous access, there's not
a lot you can do.  Keep your installed apps up to date (portupgrade and
cvsup are godsends here) and keep up with CERT (www.cert.org) and related
security sites.  If you have the space CPU/disk, run something like snort
(/usr/ports/security/snort) to keep an eye on suspicious activity, and in
many cases, drop traffic with suspicious content beyond what an IP filter
can do.  Run as little as possible on your public servers, and especially be
careful giving user accounts on public machines, as local users greatly
increat\se the security risks.

--K