Date:      Wed, 5 May 2004 12:06:58 -0400
From:      "David Wassman" <dmwassman@hotmail.com>
To:        "'Christian Hiris'" <4711@chello.at>, <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: Sound server issue

I finally got it working using the manual settings in the LINT file. My
last question is how to configure the secondary DMA channel. The man
pages for sbc:

	The value of flags specifies the secondary DMA channel.  If the
secondary DMA channel is C, set the flags to (C | 0x10). For a sound
card without the secondary DMA channel, the flags should be set to
zero.

This is the sbc0 I am using

	device sbc0 at isa? port 0x220 irq 5 drq 1 flags 0x15

I know the settings for the card (they are set in the BIOS). It has a 8
bit channel at DMA 1 and a 16-bit at DMA 5. Am I right in guessing that
[drq 1] is the DMA designation? And then how do you get the second DMA
channel active? I think I only have 8-bit sound as wav files are
sounding pretty crappy. Am I right in thinking that the man page should
read like this:

	If the secondary DMA channel is C (where C is the number of the
DMA channel) then set the flags to (C | 0x10)

Or is C a DMA channel of some weird type?

Again thanks for the help.

David Wassman
Halcyon DIR Dive Systems
Director of Technical Services and Quality Control
Office: 1-800-425-2966 ext 315
Fax: 386-454-0815
Email: Wassman@halcyon.net