Date:      Thu, 1 Oct 1998 10:07:57 +0200
From:      Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        Kevin Day <toasty@home.dragondata.com>, Karl Denninger <karl@Denninger.Net>, tom@uniserve.com, dnelson@emsphone.com, bright@hotjobs.com, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Long IDE probes?

On Sep 30, Mike Smith wrote
> The idealised process is this:
>
>  1) Check for BSY clear.  If set, fail the probe.
>  2) Set SRST.
>  3) Wait 400ns
>  4) Check for BSY set.  If clear, fail the probe
>  5) Clear SRST.
>  6) Wait for 31s for BSY to clear.  If still set, fail the probe.

I tried to implement a logic like this one for NetBSD. It doesn't work:
1) will fail with some CDroms (for which the BIOS fails too :)
4) will not work: some PCI IDE chipsets reports 0 in all registers as long as
   SRST is asserted :( This is what prevented me to avoid the 31s delay
   in all cases.

And yes, I do have a CD drive which may occasionaly take more than 20s to
clear BSY.