Date:      Sat, 30 Oct 1999 13:05:41 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
To:        Thomas Graichen <graichen@innominate.de>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: journaling UFS and LFS

[directed just to -fs; no need to cross post]

> is anybody working on adding journaling to the (Free)BSD ufs

Perhaps only Kirk McKusick, but he's doing it at his own pace and in
his all-too-limited time so there's no telling when he'll start
bringing some of his UFS snapshot stuff in.

> are there any docs in that direction avalibale - any papers or
> so ?

Yes.  Your challenge: Find them. :) Looking through past USENIX
presentations, assuming that they're archived anywhere, would be a
good start.

> and the next question: now that LFS starts to get usable in NetBSD
> - has anybody started to look at getting it working again in
> FreeBSD too (maybe matt ?) or has it on the TODO list
> for the next months or anything similar ?

It's been on the TODO list for 4 years or more.  I think what it needs
at this point is someone with both the time and skill to tackle it.  I
don't know of anyone who meets both those criteria right now.  Do you? :)

- Jordan