Date:      Wed, 26 Sep 2012 17:46:50 +0000
From:      Desmond da Peoples <que_deseja@hotmail.com>
To:        <deischen@freebsd.org>, <tevans.uk@googlemail.com>
Cc:        anton@hesiod.org, "freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org" <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: gpart is junk

Date: Mon=2C 17 Sep 2012 08:54:41 -0400
From: deischen@freebsd.org
To: tevans.uk@googlemail.com
CC: anton@hesiod.org=3B freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org

On Mon=2C 17 Sep 2012=2C Tom Evans wrote:
=20
> On Sun=2C Sep 16=2C 2012 at 8:12 PM=2C Jeff Anton <anton@hesiod.org> wrot=
e:
>> =85 my point is that all this information needs to be
>> together in one human and machine readable form.  We need to be able to =
look
>> at the whole picture of a device and say "that makes sense" then do it. =
 And
>> this shouldn't be from some GUI junk either.
>> In a file=2C this information can be kept as a reference=2C as a confirm=
ation
>> that partitioning hasn't changed unexpectedly=2C and
>> modified if needed in a clear manner.
>>

> (Sorry to pick at just parts of your email=85)
>
> The current GEOM configuration is available from a sysctl in machine
> readable format - check out kern.geom.confxml. If you are concerned
> about your partitions changing underneath you=2C storing and then
> comparing output from this sysctl gives you a simple way to determine
> what.
>
> A human readable version can be obtained from the gpart tool.
>
> IMHO=2C gpart and GEOM are fantastic. gpart is a much simpler tool to
> use than fdisk=2C and fully understands every kind of disk partitioning
> you can throw at it=2C whilst fdisk is only a tool for playing with MBR.
> The gpart man page explains clearly and concisely how to use it.
>
> GEOM provides a clear framework that anything can plug in to=2C from
> labels to whole disk encryption.
=20
It is not simple.  All I want is Solaris format utility (partition
and label).
=20
--=20
DE

For someone such as myself- and others- who use PowerPC(64)/POWER  systems=
=2C gpart is far from being junk.
Fdisk is basically useless on an APM table or to even create such. You also=
 have the choice of creating a partition scheme with
a Linux live CD and then adjusting the partition types with gpart.
You can use gparted. Maybe you haven't noticed that gpart givess you the op=
tion of different partition tables from the start.