Date:      Mon, 10 Dec 2012 12:51:13 -0000
From:      "Shiv. Nath" <shiv.nath@digital-infotech.net>
To:        debian-user@lists.debian.org, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, centos@centos.org, freeradius-users@lists.freeradius.org
Subject:   WiFi / Hot-Spot Open Source World

Dear Experts

i am sure many of you would be the part of the real game, where lot of
technology is implemented (Internet Service Providers) those serve
thousands of clients everyday . i am requesting opinion & advice from
those experts. Surfing web does not help much unless someone who is
practically touch and making the use of the technology everyday. And i
could not find the best place than this where i can ask this question &
where my request can reach highly technical peoples those know the
information i need.

Your advice is valuable, i wish to thanks in advance to those guys would
spend their imp time to discuss or respond to this matter. The topic is
WiFi / Hot-Spot reliable solution in open source world.

I work with ISP offering service for hotspots and cafe clubs. initially
company was using hosted service to authenticate / validate hotspot-cafe
users etc for many years. Eventually, our management decided to purchased
a solution that can be one time investment and serve the need for our
clients. 24-Online is a wifi & hotspot solution comes in form of
appliance. We purchased 24-Online appliance that costed more than $40,000.
We purchased by thinking that it is commercial product and it would be
reliable and considered support as well, anyways.

After started using the solution, we released that is not reliable AT ALL.
Almost everyday appliance has problems. sometimes it does not issue ip
address (DHCP) to hotspot client, if that happens, it does not redirect to
portal page so that a user can fill voucher number and start browsing. in
short, everyday this & that. As said, we have purchased the commercial
support as well but support guys take several hours sometime whole weekend
to troubleshoot the problem. in result our customers are down. we have
refund and call for apologies for the service interruption. After this one
year frustration, i wish to seek advice form experts. what kind of program
or what is the right approach to handle this wifi-hotspot clients using
Linux/ Unix. Is there anything reliable exists that can work without
everyday problem. i understand it is a technology once in a while always
be some problem there but not everyday on words. There are four services
those can make it work.

1.) User reached hotspot --> Switched his laptop on --> DHCP request
travels to our data center using existing link to hotspot & hotspot
software should issue a ip to the user (DHCP functionality).

2.) User clicked on his browser icon --> browser opens --> Request is
redirected to a web server (customer portal page) where user can fill his
valid voucher number he purchased form hotspot site for browsing(Apache
functionality)

3.) User clicks ok after entering his voucher number --> authentication
happens --> (FreeRadious functionality)

4.) Then accounting --> user can only browse for 1 hours if he purchased
one hour voucher --> (FreeRadious functionality)

how can i put all four service together and make stuff working.

Thanks / Thanks