Date:      Fri, 16 Oct 1998 17:31:35 +1000
From:      Tony Griffiths <tonyg@OntheNet.com.au>
To:        freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: kernel panic() on unaligned memory access...

Peter Wemm wrote:

> Mike Smith wrote:
> [..]
> > > In my opinion, it's not only bad, but _irresponsible_ to let the
> > > system bumble on in the face of such a bug.  High uptime is nice, but
> > > if it comes at the cost of ignoring serious system errors or
> > > corrupting data, it's worthless.
> >
> > I don't think anyone would disagree with you here.  However an unaligned
> > access doesn't fit into this case, as you can handle it cleanly (while
> > tagging the problem as an error) without crying wolf.

Which is why I said in a previous response that a panic() should be
conditionally taken based on a sysctl variable.  For debugging purposes in
-alpha/beta/v1.0 releases, a little more toleration of "non-fatal" errors
should be acceptable!

The sysctl flag still gives a developer the option of dumping if they really
want one to track down why the unaligned access is occurring while at the
same time giving everyone else a few less headaches trying to track down
someone elses stuffup...

At some release after the first when most code paths have been thoroughly
exercised, the default can be changed from doing a fixup+printf to panicing.

Tony