Date:      Wed, 03 Mar 1999 07:58:37 -0800
From:      bmah@CA.Sandia.GOV (Bruce A. Mah)
To:        govnet <hohlsk@parachute.wcape.gov.za>
Cc:        Andrzej Szydlo <andrzej@gv.edu.pl>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Backups

--==_Exmh_-1241561684P

If memory serves me right, Andrzej Szydlo wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 03, 1999 at 09:39:52AM +0200, govnet wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > Does anyone know which is the best tool to use to backup files across a
> > network between FreeBSD boxes?
>
> Hi,
>
> You can try amanda. It's in ports/packages.

Yep.  There's actually two versions of amanda in ports:

/usr/ports/misc/amanda
/usr/ports/misc/amanda24

amanda24 (as of this writing) corresponds to amanda-2.4.1p1, which is what's
normally distributed as the "latest stable" version at www.amanda.org.  So you
might want to go with that one.

/usr/ports/misc/amanda is some version of amanda-2.3.  There are two versions
in ports because these two versions are not compatable with each other, and
you might be forced to use one or the other depending on your existing
environment, if any.  Since it sounds like you're starting from scratch,
backward compatability isn't really needed.

Bruce.

--==_Exmh_-1241561684P

-----BEGIN PGP MESSAGE-----
Version: 2.6.2

iQCVAwUBNt1cLKjOOi0j7CY9AQHaHgQAhn3GjoVC3oGwxXnf78mq/MBDZiC8Dcnu
NIJ4YoUvCd1gzc6poxQ8DyudbHhREXrKhIgEzo5LkQK+ZnV515KhyDTAr2Jx35vB
3vRWwD96wnl6qtnw55D97OUv6GJhbEW1DKUIpzYpIbvB1fS6kdKA6CNdVDpXzoJ6
5fpwUTbQTwY=
=no/d
-----END PGP MESSAGE-----

--==_Exmh_-1241561684P--