Date:      Mon, 10 Nov 1997 08:39:28 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Adrian T. Filipi-Martin" <atf3r@cs.virginia.edu>
To:        Graphic Rezidew <rezidew@rezidew.net>
Cc:        roger@nwu.edu, freebsd-security@freebsd.org, Kadokev@ripco.com
Subject:   Re: FW: [linux-security] pentium bug makes security under linux impo

On Mon, 10 Nov 1997, Graphic Rezidew wrote:

> note: I have tested this for myself with
> netbsd (???)
> freebsd (2.2.2)
> BSDi (BSD/OS 3.0)
> dos (6.22) <hey, somebody has to use it>
> linux (as if a version means anything here)
> solaris x86 (2.6 and 2.5.1) (with gcc not /usr/ucb/bin/cc)

	Argh!  I built the test program on a 486/66 running 2.2.2-STABLE
which correctly trapped the illegal instruction.  The same binary does
indeed kill a P120 running 2.2.1 cold.

	Does anyone know of other illegal instruction patterns that can
cause this?  Is this a unique one that a compiler could be patched to
avoid?  I know it would not prevent the deliberate creation of such
binaries, but it would slow down the novice-crackers who want to play
with it.

	Adrian
--
adrian@virginia.edu        ---->>>>| If I were stranded on a desert island, and
System Administrator         --->>>| I could only have one OS for my computer,