Date:      Tue, 18 May 1999 22:32:59 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Piet Delaney <piet@cup.hp.com>
To:        piet@cup.hp.com, davidh@wr.com.au, davidh@progmatics.com.au
Cc:        sane-devel@mostang.com, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org, piet@hpfsvr02.cup.hp.com, piet@piet.net, hasty@netcom.com, obrien@nuxi.com
Subject:   Re: Setting up SANE on FreeBSD with an on Board Adaptec SCSI Controler

Hi David:

> You have to set up the right device names in the config file and in
> /dev.
> I unfortunately can't remember exactly what I had to do, but
> when I get home I'll check and mail you.
>
> But, in /usr/local/lib/sane there is a config file which has to
> point to the right /dev entry.

I didn`t see it; just looked like linker archives.

scanimage --list-devices 	came up with nothing; should have a -v (verbose option?)

The scsi interface is the ahc seems it's go thru a scsi pass thru driver
/dev/pass[0123].

The /usr/local/etc/sane.d/hp.conf indicated /dev/scanner
should be used. It didn't exist. The scanner is a HP ScanJet 3P
(C2570A) and should be supported.

dmesg shows:
	pass1 being the HP Desktop Video 3.60	(A Video CAM)
	pass2 being the HP C2570A 3430 		(Hmmm, not quit a 3406,
						 I wonder if that's the problem).

I'm getting some scsi IDENTIFY problems something isn't
answering IDENTIFY cmds.

Makeing a symbolic pointer from /dev/scanner to /dev/pass2 (or /dev/pass1)
didn't change the scanimage --list-devices (still no output).

I think my problem is likley that neither device is supported.

Seems it would have been nice if it was a bit more verbose about
this; something like "HP C2570A 3430" isn't supported. I wonder if
a small tweek on the HP backend to recognize the 3406 and the 3430
as a ScanJet 3P would fix this.

Tried scanimage -d /dev/pass[012] and it comes back with Invalid Arguement.
So it seems the /dev/scanner isn't being used. So what is going on
with the HP congfig file.

Seems this really could be more communitive when the -v (--verbose)
option is provided. Perhaps Dave Obrien is right about this interface
needing cleanup.

-piet