Date:      Sun, 13 Jul 1997 21:19:34 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        tom@sdf.com (Tom Samplonius)
Cc:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: old "make reinstall" bug

Tom Samplonius stands accused of saying:

> > The last time this issue came up, the solution was to update 'make'
> > before doing 'make reinstall'.  Try
>
>   Nope, not it.  I was listening to the previous discussion too, and I
> wanted scream about the misdiganosis.  The makefile is just looking in the
> wrong place.  I had forgotten the work around I had used before that to
> get past it, or I would spoke up.

Er, it _wasn't_ a "misdiagnosis", it was a reported and
locally-confirmed solution to the problem.  ie. "reinstall" _does_
work, and the original plaintiff's problems were _solved_ by upgrading
'make' first.

Please reread your statement and see if you can reword it so that it
doesn't read either "you are stupid" or "you are a liar".

Now, if you have a reasoned argument for why, in your context, the
reinstall is looking for things in the "wrong" place, I'm all ears.
However, you'll have to work out how the install target works during
a 'make world' while the install target during 'make reinstall' doesn't.

Until then, you are trying to tell me I haven't witnessed and tested
what I have, and you're not going to get much of a reception with
that.