Date:      Tue, 7 Sep 1999 15:12:16 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
To:        Doug <Doug@gorean.org>
Cc:        Oleg Ogurok <oleg@ogurok.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Windows SSH client and vi

On Tue, 7 Sep 1999, Doug wrote:

> On Tue, 7 Sep 1999, Oleg Ogurok wrote:
>
> > Hi there.
> >
> > When I ssh into my FreeBSD box using SecureCRT or F-Secure, and then edit
> > a file using 'vi', my vi acts freaky. When I press "Down" button and
> > scroll down beyond the screen size, my cursor often appear on a line
> > different from one that's printed. I see a line and start editing it, but
> > then I suddenly figure out that I am on different line and the line I
> > need to edit is below or above.
> > This never happens when I do the same on solaris or linux using the same
> > Windows ssh clients.
>
> 	Your freebsd box' idea of what the terminal is does not match what
> your terminal settings on your windows app are telling it to emulate. Make
> the two match and your problems will go away.

Doug is correct, let me just explain a bit more though, see if you can
locate the terminal settings under your window's client then try this:

export TERM=what windows program says
-or-
setenv TERM what windows program says

depending on your shell.

if not you can try looking in /etc/termcap and trying to experiment
with different terminal settings under your windows client setting TERM
to match.

you can find the current value of TERM by issueing "echo $TERM"

good luck,
-Alfred