Date:      Fri, 30 Apr 1999 10:07:19 +0000
From:      Adam Nealis <adamn@csl.com>
To:        David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
Cc:        notme <notme@lvdi.net>, "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Linux Vs. NT Vs. FreeBSD

David Kelly wrote:

> notme writes:

[snip]

> > which stated that Linux lost to NT in a test on a Quad
> > processor Dell server and the new test between the
> > two.

[snip]

> Every other attempt to quantify the performance of a free Unix web
> server, the FreeBSD and Linux boxes trounced NT on the same CPU.
I take it by this you mean single CPU, relatively low-spec
stuff, no? It hasx to be admitted that while Linux/FreeBSD
will run happily on low-end stuff that NT won't, as you go
up the scales the differences converge and, in the case of a
quad-CPU, NT might have an edge of few % - but that's only
in terms of performance - I suppose if you factor in
stability in terms of time between reboots, that small edge
probably goes away.

> As to Linux vs. FreeBSD, its generally ceeded that FreeBSD behaves
> better than Linux under heavy loads.
I agree with this, but I'm not aware of any comparitive data
between Linux 2.2.X and 'BSD 3.X - I have some "empirical"
data: (a colleague and RedHat fan) dropped the Linux
2.2.something kernel onto his Mandrake installation and
claimed it was much better then 2.0.34.