Date:      Sun, 4 May 2014 10:36:06 -0700
From:      Rui Paulo <rpaulo@felyko.com>
To:        Adrian Chadd <adrian@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Kevin Oberman <rkoberman@gmail.com>, "freebsd-acpi@freebsd.org" <freebsd-acpi@freebsd.org>, "freebsd-arch@freebsd.org" <freebsd-arch@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: proposal: set default lid state to S3, performance/economy Cx states to Cmax

On May 4, 2014, at 1:27, Adrian Chadd <adrian@FreeBSD.org> wrote:

> * Flipping the default lid state to S3. I think ACPI suspend/resume
> seems to work well enough these days and I've not met anyone lately
> who expects the default from their laptop to be "stay awake with the
> lid shut."

The sysctl is really just a hack.  We should have a much better =
mechanism for integrating our ACPI with the X11 desktop environments.  =
GNOME/KDE/Mate don't understand our sysctl and get confused easily.=20

You can turn it on by default, but I'm sure ACPI suspend/resume is not =
working well enough like you say.  How many laptops have you tested?  =
For completeness, how many desktops? =20

There are bunch of ports kernel modules that will crash your system if =
you suspend.  VirtualBox is one of them.

> * Save chip bugs that we should add workarounds for, we should be OK
> to enter lower sleep states when idling. Flipping this may expose some
> further crazy driver, platform or timer bugs, but they again likely
> should be fixed.

They are still not fixed.  Some of these problems are not in FreeBSD =
though and I don't expect us to be able to work around them.  We should =
try to identify systems where C3 has surprising effects and blacklist =
them.

--
Rui Paulo