Date:      Fri, 29 Jun 2001 09:39:38 -0400
From:      Margaret Doll <Margaret_Doll@Brown.edu>
To:        aic7xxx@freeBSD.ORG, seawolf-list@redhat.com
Subject:   Re: SCSI driver causing kernel crash!

I am still experiencing sense data errors with the use of an Adaptec
AIC-7892 Ultra 160/m scsi card on one of my Dell stations.  If the backup
is left running with the sense data errors accumulating, the system
eventually freezes.

	Error messages in /var/log/messages

	st1( or 0): Block limits 2 - 16777215 bytes.
	st1( or 0): Error with sense data:  [valid=0] Info fld=0x0, Current
st09:00: sense key Not Ready
	kernel:  Additional sense indicates Logical unit is in proces of
becoming ready

	I build a new kernel by adding linux-aic7xxx-6.1.13-2.4.2-2rh.patch
as the last patch to add to kernel-2.4.spec, and installed the kernel as an
alternative to the regular 2.4.2-2 kernel.

	I have tested the tape unit itself on a system that has a built-in
Adaptec AIC-7880 Ultra SCSI host adaptor.  The backups have no problem on
that system with either tape drive unit.

	I have switched the scsi cables between the two units, so it seems
that the problem is the scsi card or the interface between the system and
the card.

	When I more /proc/scsi/aic7xxx/0 on the system with the Ultra 160
and the kernel update I see the line "Adaptec AIC7xxx driver version:
5.2.4/5.2.0."  This line is identical to the line from the system with the
AIC-7880 Ultra SCSI without the kernel upgrade.  Does this mean that the
kernel patch with the new driver did not take effect?

	What should I try next?  Buy a new scsi card?

>Interesting..
>
>Now I just need to work out how to install the new
>driver.  That does make sense actually!
>
>Can I just install an RPM or do I need to compile
>something?  The expert install never seems to work
>properly (I just have bad experiences with that).
>
>Thanks!
>
>--- "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@scsiguy.com>
>> wrote:
>>>Hi people,
>>>
>>>I am running Red Hat 7.1 (tried with both original 2.4
>>>and latest RH 2.4.3-12 (?) kernel) trying to use a
>>>Yamaha CD burner CRW8424S with a Adaptec AHA 2930 SCSI
>>>card.
>>>
>>>I noticed in the Red Hat release notes that the SCSI
>>>driver has been updated.
>>
>>The driver you are running is the older aic7xxx driver.
>>During an expert install, you should be able to chose
>>"aic7xxx_new", assuming you want to try the new driver.
>>This is probably the same driver Mandrake is using and
>>happens to be the one that is maintained.
>>
>>--
>>Justin

>==
>ICQ me @ 115319093