Date:      Wed, 16 Mar 2005 22:53:15 +0100
From:      Pav Lucistnik <pav@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@chuckr.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD-gnome@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: menus

--=-A/BY+aM5HL7NfDQ94Ox1

Chuck Robey p=ED=B9e v st 16. 03. 2005 v 16:50 -0500:
> On Wed, 16 Mar 2005, Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:
>=20
> > Chuck Robey wrote:
> > | I need to know more about where files are in the FreeBSD gnome.  I do=
n't
> > | want to pester you forever, but I need to know how to fix the locatio=
n of
> > | files in gnome, so I can change things.
> > |
> > | It won't come as a shock to anyhow to know that gnome wants to assume=
 it's
> > | always installed in Linux, or that Linux has the horrible habit of
> > | installing everything under /usr.  This means that I will never find =
files
> > | installed under a FreeBSD port installed where they would be in a cla=
ssic
> > | Linux install (which most of their docs will assume they should be). =
 This
> > | isn't a complaint, it's quite right, and I am happy that the FreeBSD
> > | porters took this adult approach, if anything I am unhappy at the Lin=
ux
> > | folks for not doing this obvious thing (installing OUTSIDE of /usr,
> > | keeping ports OUT of /usr/bin, usr/share, etc, etc)
> >
> > Not true.  The FreeBSD ports have been modified to respected FreeBSD's
> > LOCALBASE and X11BASE.
>=20
> Not true?  Not true that FreeBSD doesn't install into /usr/bin?  I though=
> the meaning I had above was pretty clear, I wasn't trashing the port, Joe=
.
> I was saying, I don't like the Linux practice of installing software into
> /usr/bin, or anything like that, mixing with the system software.  You
> disagree with that?
>=20
> I'm amazed.

You know, as icky as it could sound, /usr/bin is actually *default*
prefix for this software. We are actively bending it to fit our idea of
world. Linux people are just leaving it where it naturally belong.

Deal with it.

--=20
Pav Lucistnik <pav@oook.cz>
              <pav@FreeBSD.org>

You take the red pill, you stay in Wonderland, and I show you how deep
the rabbit hole goes....

--=-A/BY+aM5HL7NfDQ94Ox1

--=-A/BY+aM5HL7NfDQ94Ox1--