Date:      Tue, 28 Nov 2000 10:06:50 -0500 (EST)
From:      Thomas Good <tomg@mailhost.nrnet.org>
To:        igorr@crosswinds.net
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: which unix to study?

On Tue, 28 Nov 2000, Igor' Robul' wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 27, 2000 at 02:11:33PM -0500, Jeff Gentry wrote:
> > Mostly, but lots of HP-UX as well.
> But it is too expensive learn HP-UX at home :-)
> Even Solaris will cost you $75 for 8 disk set in USA. Unfortunatelly,
> I, for example, can't pay for it in Russia. I have money :-) but I
> don't have credit card for example :-)

Kak dela Igor?

UnixWare is being open sourced according to friends of mine who work
for SCO.  This is part of the Caldera/SCO merger.  So, definitely,
learning System V at home is soon to be cost effective.

According to press releases SCO will be changing their name to
Tarantella and hawking their web products whilst Caldera will acquire
the lion's share of the former SCO, including the Server Division
which means OpenServer and UnixWare...

UnixWare is similar to Solaris (using things like ttymon instead of
getty and so on...)  And it has a peppy file system.  In benchtesting
Postgres performance I found UW to be the fastest of those implementations
I had availble to me:  Solaris, FBSD, Slackware, OpenServer and UW.
The other advantage is:  there are lots of things in UW that one finds
in FBSD, only with diff names.  For example: setcolour <-> vidcontrol.
Most probably the renaming occurred during the creation of BSD Lite.

Tom

               SVCMC - Center for Behavioral Health
Thomas Good                          tomg@ { admin | q8 } .nrnet.org
IS Coordinator / DBA                 Phone: 718-354-5528
                                     Fax:   718-354-5056