Date:      Wed, 27 Sep 2000 15:35:08 -0500
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@emsphone.com>
To:        Ken Bolingbroke <hacker@bolingbroke.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: processes wedging on NFS

In the last episode (Sep 27), Ken Bolingbroke said:
> I use alot of NFS mounts around my networks, and on occasion, a NFS
> server reboots or otherwise "hiccups".  When this happens, the NFS
> client will wedge any process that tries to access the NFS mount.  I
> can't find any way to kill those processes except by rebooting.  Even
> 'kill -9' doesn't work.
>
> Ideally, I'd be able to unmount any NFS mounts before the server
> reboots, but for those instances where it doesn't happen, is there
> any way to unwedge those processes besides rebooting?

NFS should be able to handle a server being rebooted;  the only time
I've seen it fail is if the kernel was rebuilt between reboots, or
mountpoints changed.

To unwedge, you can try remounting the hung mount; you'll see the mount
entry twice when you run "mount", but it should work.  You can also try
forcibly dismounting the original mountpoint first with umount -f.  Or,
you could set your mountpoints to "intr" in /etc/fstab, which tells the
kernel that any NFS syscalls are interruptible (i.e. kill -9 'able).

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@emsphone.com