Date:      Fri, 30 Apr 1999 20:50:18 +0930 (CST)
From:      Kris Kennaway <kkennawa@physics.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        Denis DeLaRoca <denis@acacia.cts.ucla.edu>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Communicator 4.5: "Xlib: Unexpected async reply" msg flood!

On Fri, 30 Apr 1999, Denis DeLaRoca wrote:

> I've seen this problem occur with both the FreeBSD version of Communicator
> 4.5 in the packages collection as well as with Communicator 4.51 for Linux
> under FreeBSD 3.1.
>
> At some point, a popup appears with the following message,
>
> 	Bookmarks have changed on disk.
> 	Discard your unsaved changes and reload

This is because you are running two copies of netscape at once (one many be a
hung/crashed process).

> 	Xlib: Unexpected async reply (sequence 0x####)

I see this a lot as well, and don't know a solution. Netscape 4.51 seems
horribly unstable for me (even when not doing anything involing Java[script]
which it's always had problems with)- I'm about to try the Linux version to
see if it's any better.

Kris

-----
The Feynman problem-solving algorithm: 1. Write down the problem
                                       2. Think real hard
                                       3. Write down the solution