Date:      Sat, 18 Aug 2001 23:10:17 -0700
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org>
To:        Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: New kernel option CPU_ENABLE_SSE

Mike Smith wrote:

> > >So detect it automatically based on the CPU feature bits.
> > >
> > >Needing a kernel compile option for this is unforgivably lame.  If you
> > >want to be able to disable it, use a tunable.
> > > Perhaps; the "gist" I get is that the compile option is for
> > some "field-testing."  Maybe similarly appropriate would be
> > something similar to "NO_F00F_HACK"; for example,
> > "CPU_DISABLE_SSE" or "CPU_NO_ENABLE_SSE" (?).
>
> All of this stuff is unforgivably lame.  Tunables.  Tunables.  Dammit. 8)

Tunables cant compile out the support code.

Yes, there should be a tunable to disable the activation of it, but being
able to compile out the support code is still worth while in some places.

And yes, it is dependent on the cpu_features SSE and FXSR bits.  The option
is probably misnamed.. It would better be: CPU_SSE_SUPPORT, if we had
to have an option.  But the original patches had it as CPU_ENABLE_SSE.

Cheers,
-Peter