Date:      Tue, 6 Oct 2020 18:21:25 +0700
From:      Eugene Grosbein <eugen@grosbein.net>
To:        Wojciech Puchar <wojtek@puchar.net>, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: difference between real serial console and virtual console

06.10.2020 18:03, Wojciech Puchar wrote:

> from userland program point of view? What's the difference.
>
> I'm asking because i have problem as below when using real serial console (PCengines apu).
>
> I have TERM set to xterm on both serial console and on virtual console when i log over ssh or rsh.
>
> i have same screen size.
>
> and ALMOST all programs behave the same way, including full screen programs like mc or vi or even alpine. including colors,sizes etc.
>
> the only exception is joe editor. that doesn't work at all.
> Actually - it display few upper-left characters of it's status bar and nothing else. All i can is to blindly type CTRL-C to exit.
>
> switching TERM to vt100 or vt220 doesn't change things at all.
>

> any idea why?

This should be related to user terminal size that's configured by user terminal emulator in case of network login.
In case of VGA console, it's configured by console driver itself.

In case of serial console, the system known nothing about user terminal size initially,
so FreeBSD's default .login/.profile scripts contain call to resizewin utility.
Read its manual page resizewin(1) and make sure you have "resizewin -z" in your shell's profile.