Date:      Wed, 1 Aug 2012 15:20:21 -0400
From:      Mark Saad <nonesuch@longcount.org>
To:        "freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org" <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: How to diagnose system freezes?

On Tue, Jul 31, 2012 at 11:14 PM, Yuri <yuri@rawbw.com> wrote:
> On 07/31/2012 17:50, Mark Saad wrote:
>>
>> Yuri
>>    Install sysutils/mcelog and try running the example included . While
>> not a complete definitative hardware test it can report other hardware
>> issues that memtest86+ misses and it can be run on line in multiuser mode
>> and via cron .
>

> Thanks for suggesting this. I have a question, however. Let's say 'mcelog
> --daemon' runs and encounters some MCE and logs it. Wouldn't this record be
> lost during the subsequent ungraceful (poweroff) reboot? Nonfatal MCEs, if
> any, will stay but what about the fatal one?

Daemon mode does not work on FreeBSD , and on most if not all linux
distros it runs via cron.

In this example you can have it write the logged results via syslog
and hopefully you should be able to review them.

/usr/local/bin/mcelog --ignorenodev --filter --no-dmi --syslog

or

/usr/local/bin/mcelog   --no-dmi > /var/log/mce.log

Now that being said , when mcelog reports an error , it continuously
reports the error, each time mcelog is run,  power cycling did not
clear the mcelog .

--
mark saad | nonesuch@longcount.org