Date:      Fri, 21 Dec 2012 09:52:10 +0100
From:      Marcus von Appen <mva@FreeBSD.org>
To:        python@freebsd.org, koobs.freebsd@gmail.com
Subject:   lang/python33's make test target creates artifacts and long build times

--32u276st3Jlj2kUU

Hi,

today I noticed some issues with the tinderbox runs of lang/python33

First of all, the test: target introduced causes artifacts within
${PREFIX}, effectively polluting the user environment. Is this really
intended?

In my opinion a port, that executes the test target, should do this either
in a separate directory/environment to avoid cluttering the user's
environment with garbage (well, it's Python's fault here in my opinion
to use a test/data directory for the test results).

However, a user will most likely not execute a test target within a typical
installation procedure, tinderbox however does, causing two issues:

- around 15 test files are created in %%PYTHON_SITELIBDIR%%/test/data
- the python test cases randomly crash and require about 45 minutes to
  run, whereas they take about 5 minutes to run outside of a tinderbox
  and never crash[1]

The usefulness of the test target hence is (at the moment) zero,
contradicting its purpose.

I would strongly advocate to back it out asap.
If there are no other opinions on that, I'll do so on the next Sunday.

[1] on my box of course :-)

Cheers
Marcus

--32u276st3Jlj2kUU