Date:      Wed, 28 Jan 2004 16:33:06 -0500
From:      "Will Saxon" <WillS@housing.ufl.edu>
To:        "Tim Aslat" <tim@spyderweb.com.au>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: nss_winbind support

> > I may have just missed it but there doesn't seem to be a lot of
> > information available on how to set Samba 3 up under FreeBSD 5.x to
> > use nss_winbind and pam_winbind. What information I have=20
> found doesn't
> > seem to work, maybe because it focuses on joining the domain as an
> > NT-style domain member vs. Active Directory-style membership.
>=20
> Sorry I can't help with this one, still working it out myself.=20
>=20
> I have had it working previously with rpc but not ads.

Just a followup, in case anyone else cares.. This problem has been =
worked
on and may be fixed in the samba CVS tree as of the 7th of this month. =
It
should be in the latest release candidate that has been posted recently.

You have to copy the libnss_winbind.so module from =
samba/source/nsswitch/
into /usr/lib and make symlinks to libnss_winbind.so.1 and perhaps
nss_winbind.so.1 and nss_winbind.so.2 (or so I read). I am now able to
assign microsoft domain user/group permissions on files and directories
and presumably I will be able to replace our fileserver with a samba3
machine which participates in the Active Diretory and uses kerberos=20
authentication, etc.

Very happy about this....

-Will