Date:      Wed, 24 Sep 1997 23:46:00 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Wes Peters <softweyr@xmission.com>
To:        Mark Mayo <mark@quickweb.com>
Cc:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: My monitor's got the Shakes...

Mark Mayo writes:
 > I was looking for possible recomendations as to what the problem
 > could be, which turns out is likely bad capacitors or an arcing
 > transistor -- purely a hardware issue which is why it was on the
 > -hardware list. After several people mentioned that they were
 > having the same problems with their MAG monitors, I indeed asked for
 > recomendations..

I have a MAG DX17T at home (Trinitron model) and a DX 1795 at work.
They're both doing pretty well, but I'm not sold on MAG.  The 1795 takes
*far* too long to sync to a new frequency when switching resolutions, or
from text to graphics, and has an annoying relay-sounding click while
doing so.

The 17T at home is working fine, but is also *very* slow to come up from
sleep mode, or to change sync.  I wouldn't buy another MAG for any
reason.  In comparison, my CTX 1765 GM on *my* machine at home switches
resolutions much faster, wakes up in about 1/5 the time, has .5" larger
viewing area, and slightly more washed out color.  All in all, I'll take
it over the MAG every day.

 > Naturally, looking at them is the best way to pick one -- the problem
 > is that looking at a monitor in the store doesn't give you any idea
 > about the reliability or long term performance. Since my MAG looked
 > fantastic when I first bought it, and now looks like a piece of crap
 > only 3 years later, I don't want to make the same purchasing mistake!
 >
 > I don't think that this thread has anything to do with "my monitor
 > is better than your monitor"....

Your original post didn't, but it seemed to be heading off in that
direction.  The message here on -chat lost too much of your original
context, I guess.  Sorry!

 > Anyways, I'm looking for a 17" middle of the road to high-end type
 > monitor. I do have a budget of course, but I'm not interested in the
 > crappy 17's... Right now I've heard lots of good stuff about the
 > Sony 200SF 17 - and the entire SF line actually. Sony seems to have
 > dropped their prices quite a bit, to the point that the competitors
 > just can't seem to match.
 >
 > The monitor I'm using right now is atacched to a Sun Sparc1, is 9 years
 > old, and still works like a charm. No jitter or ghosting, the test is
 > still crisp. In short, I think SOny knows how to make a decent monitor
 > that will last and I'll probably end up buiyying one. The only wild card
 > at this point is the 19" Hitachi models. The price is comparable, but
 > I suspect the quality isn't nearly as good as the Sony.

If you can find one in your area, I've had good experience with ADI.
They have a new line out, with somewhat reduced prices, that might be
within your budget as well.  I'm trying to talk my boss into a 21" for
work, and if I like it as much as I have in "borrowing" my friends, I'll
probably buy one myself with my next bonus check.  ;^)

 > None of the stores in my area have the 19" Hitachis on display, but some
 > people here are in the process of getting one, so I'm looking forward
 > to hearing their reports!

I've heard good things about the new Hitachis, but remember their 20S
with loathing.  Big monitors are still really a crap shoot, but the 17"
market is settling nicely.  ;^)